Saturday, December 13, 2008

The most interesting thing I've read all week.

Mobbing and the Virginia Tech Massacre

This analogy brought it all together:
It was only after Cho committed his murders that observers
discerned in him a murderous personal identity. This is like calling a
substance dynamite after it explodes. If it could not be recognized as dynamite earlier, it may well have been something else, maybe a benign substance like garden fertilizer, sawdust, or ripening fruit, that detonated under an unusual combination of specific conditions.
Especially after having a discussion over whether sociology should be considered a science, and whether the social sciences are led astray by mimic the scientific rigor of the hard sciences.

*Although I must say that the author's account uses a lot of very unprofessional language.  Since when did sociologists start using the term "going postal"?

(Which was a great conversation, btw. I've certainly had to rethink a few of my points, which is often the manner of my dreams following drunken discourse. I've also learned that, when I'm losing a conversation, attribute the opponent's position to something Keith might say.)

No comments: